Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Beginning of the New

Even though it is really just another day in life, New Years is always a day to reflect on where you are in life and what you have to look forward to. This past year has been an incredible one. Not only have I solidified friendships that will last for life but I have graduated from BYU, traveled to Europe, welcomed a new niece, said goodbye to a dear grandpa, traveled to Peru, welcomed home a little brother from his mission, made some "grown up" decisions, made some not so "grown up" decisions, accomplished a few big goals and many little goals.

Needless to say this as been quite the year for me, full of ups and downs (but mostly ups). Because of what I have done I didn't know how I was going to top it this coming year. But then I got a email from dad who, in his fatherly wisdom, said this next year may not be filled with graduations or grand trips but it will be an amazing year for decisions, direction and focused destination. I have had this fear of growing up and taking on the responsibility that I was sure would kill my adventure streak. All I have ever wanted to do is serve others and have fun. I am always looking for that next adventure and anyone to share it with. However, I realize that while you should live life with no regret, you should also live smart. It is a time of change for me. It is a time to hunker down and put my dreams and goals into action and not spend all my time considering my option. I need to choose the best option and move on it.

I also need to focus more on my divine qualities and purpose. Too often I think we let our troubles and fears get in the way of true happiness. I am not talking about the happiness that comes from spending the day going skiing or rock climbing or whatever it is you love to do, but the happiness and the peace that is there when the fun times and day are over. That happiness that only comes when we are fully (or getting there) confident in who we are, in our purpose in life and in our worth. Life is simple, it is just hard at times. It is up to us whether or not we focus on the bad or the good. It is up to us whether or not we are happy in our circumstances, whatever they may be. It is up to us to choose faith, to choose hope, to choose charity, and to choose happy.

Granted I know there are times when emotional states are out of our control like depression, anxiety and other mental illnesses. But it is okay to get help for those kind of things. It is not something to be ashamed of to have to be on medication or go to counseling to help fix an problem that may be causing more issues in your life. Why put yourself through a kind of torture when help is at your finger tips. I am no stranger to counseling and medication. I am one who hates having others have to deal with my problems and so for a long time I held them inside. I didn't tell anyone and it was eating me alive. When I finally hit rock bottom I decided enough was enough and got the helped that I needed. Let me tell you what a relief it was to have those problems off my chest. Just talking things out with someone who is willing to listen was one of the biggest reliefs I have ever experienced. If you need help, get it. It will make all the difference.

Now that I have totally gone on a tangent let me go back now to what I was saying. Other than those things that are completely out of our control, everything is determined from how we choose to react to things. We can choose to be happy and grateful in even the most awful of times. Using pain to see the things we are most grateful for will help us get through painful times. Why not focus on the good, on the important things and on the things you are most grateful for? Why not choose to be happy no matter how dark the world is around you? Why not choose to live an extraordinary life no matter the circumstances? Why not choose to progress and move forward in the face of fear? Why not?

So in honor of this new year, I will see it as a new start. A time to start living life as extraordinarily as I can. Making the "grown up" decisions while not giving up my adventures (both physically and figuratively), because life is an adventure if we let it. Remember your divine purpose. Remember that you are a child of a loving Heavenly Father, who in His finest moment of creation created you. Embrace change. Embrace life. Never let it become a constant wave of water, ever crushing down on you, drowning you, and keeping you from living, not just enduring.

No comments: